So ... I joined an art society


When I walked into the art society meeting on Thursday, I sat down and listened carefully to the critique that was given of the members' art, and then I flashed a bit of my own iPad art around and explained that I came from a background of graphic and vector design, and that I intended to transfer those skills into the world of physical media and reproduce my iPad designs on paper (or canvas).

There was a mix of interest and scepticism, and the person leading the critique told me that I should put the iPad away and find a medium.

Today I followed that advice and bought some pencils and a pad of sketching paper, and it has been a revelation. I've started to see that I don't need to go over the top crazy with what I put into pictures, but that doesn't mean I won't be storying them, I just won't be doing it with a sledge hammer, as I'd intended before the group, and before putting graphite to paper.

It doesn't mean the iPad is going away for good either, because I think it'll still be useful for composition and putting down quick ideas. But who knows what this new exploration of fine art will bring.

Comments